About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.The Role Responsibilities
GIA represents the third line of defence and provides independent assurance of the effectiveness of management's control of business activities (the first line) and of the control processes maintained by the Risk Framework Owners and Policy Owners (the second line). GIA works with the Group's other control functions, such as Finance, Risk and Compliance, but does not place unqualified reliance on their work. GIA is an independent function whose primary role is to help the Board and Executive Management to protect the assets, reputation and sustainability of the Group.
As defined in the Audit Charter, all staff in GIA must exhibit the highest level of professional objectivity in gathering, evaluating and communicating information about the activity or process being examined. They must make a balanced assessment of all the relevant circumstances and not be unduly influenced by their own interests or by others in forming judgments. GIA will adhere to the Definition of Internal Auditing, the Core Principles for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, Code of Ethics and the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing that are published by the IIA. It is expected that all members of GIA strive to operate as role models for the Group's valued behaviours. GIA methodology has defined 'Habits of a Human Auditor' which are aligned to the Group's valued behaviours and communicated across the function.
In addition to the responsibilities defined in the Audit Charter, the Audit Manager is expected:
- To assist the Team Leader on assigned audit work involving Financial Markets. This will entail working on the audit to deliver the Audit Planning Memo, Controls Document, agree issues and action plans with management and submission of draft report to the Team Lead and Manager for review
- To assist the Team leader and Manager in the delivery of high quality audits, including finalising of audit issues and the audit report
- To confirm that assigned audit work is executed in an efficient and effective manner, within the given budget and timelines, and in line with GIA methodology standards.
- To clearly identify the risks and impact of issues during issue writing, agreeing these issues with management and obtaining quality management action plans to mitigate the risks raised
- To assist/ lead continuous monitoring of assigned countries / portfolio areas, and to build and maintain engagement with stakeholders
- To assist in the design and implementation of department wide exercises such as annual planning, risk assessment and training
- To support GIA audit teams by providing product/country knowledge and expertise for their audits relating to the individual's area of responsibility
- To attend and present at formal committees and Group meetings on behalf of the HOA or for their own area of responsibility, as required, e.g. Governance Committees and Country Non-Financial Risk Committees and
- Issue validation: all audit issue action plans agreed during audit fieldwork should be tracked through to completion in accordance with methodology requirements
- Support the HOA and Product Champion where required, in the development of the GIA risk assessment and development of an appropriate audit plan for the HOA's assigned portfolio
- Support the HOA and Product Champion to assess the assigned audit plan to confirm that it remains relevant throughout the year as the risk profile of the business changes. Propose changes as appropriate and
- Operates in line with the Audit Charter during engagements, remains independent from management and free from interference.
- Assist the HOA to effectively manage the cost of assigned audits within the allocated budget for audit engagements and
- Identify and implement opportunities for cost savings and optimal productivity of assigned audit engagements.
- To assist the Team Lead on assigned audit work involving Financial Markets. This will entail assisting the Team lead to deliver the Audit Planning Memo, Controls Document, agree issues and action plans with management and submission of draft report to the Team Manager for review
- Perform audit deliverables to meet quality standards and timelines in line with the GIA methodology
- Produce high quality outputs which address the risk
- GIA methodology should be adhered to in all areas of the audit engagement, as well understanding of the methodology
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of both business/technical areas and expert knowledge in the audit process, including the GIA system, to ensure that audit work is carried out to a high standard that meets all methodology and GIA system requirements
- To assist the Team lead in presenting the draft report in the GIA report review process (to the tollgate or report approver) and
- Have an understanding of the regulatory landscape and to ensure that all key regulatory concerns are covered in the audit scope.
- Monitor the implementation/delivery of the agreed issues/audit plans for the audits assigned, understanding the key risks arising, provide advice on resolution of issues to auditees/action plan owners and escalate audit findings that remain unresolved.
- Support the HOA and Product Champion to update the relevant assigned risk assessments as part of the Continuous Risk Assessment on a regular basis so that changes in risk profiles are identified in a timely manner, proposing changes to the assigned audit plan to the HOA and Product Champion, as appropriate
- Promote early identification and escalation of risks, issues, trends and developments to relevant stakeholders. Be prepared to raise issues/concerns outside the normal audit process
- Attend relevant meetings relevant to assigned country / product area (e.g. Management Groups and Committees) at the request of the HOA to keep up-to-date on key business matters and provide the right challenge to ensure risks are appropriately identified, discussed and timely remediation plans are put in place
- Adopt an anticipatory approach to risk assessment through stakeholder engagement and monitoring of the external environment to improve audit planning and
- Review MI and reports regularly to keep up-to-date with key trends within the business.
People and Talent
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the management of business units which fall under risk assessment responsibility.
- Influence change within the department by highlighting potential enhancements
- Identify growth areas at the start of each audit, and discuss with the Team Leader and Manager on how best to develop them during the work
- Provide written performance feedback to team leader at the end of an audit. Review and agree the feedback provided with the Team Leader and Manager
- Identify and successfully complete key internal training for self-development.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Assist the HOA and Product Champion to manage the relevant Product/Country clients, and establish good working relationships to help the businesses improve the control environment and keep updated with changes in the business impacting their risk profile
- Propose changes to audit plans to the HOA and Product Champion, as appropriate, so that the audit plan remains relevant
- Delays in the execution of audit work should be escalated in a timely manner, both to auditee management and GIA management
- Be able to clearly explain issues identified along with the risks and root causes to GIA and business management, using language designed to be understood by non-experts and
- Assist the HOA and Product Champion to manage the relevant Product/Country stakeholders, as appropriate, and establish good working relationships to help the businesses improve the control environment and keep updated with changes in the business impacting their risk profile.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Support the GIA to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Designated business stakeholders, typically related to individual audit assignments and the assigned portfolio and
- GIA stakeholders - team leaders, team members, team managers, Product, Functional, Country and Regional Heads of Audit.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in GIA and
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Experience in audit, governance, risk or in a business environment
- Professional audit certification preferre
- In-depth understanding of [insert business specialism] risk management, processes and associated control requirements
- Strong and impactful communicator, both within reports and verbally, with ability to clearly articulate controls to be tested and risks identified to both internal and business stakeholders
- Confident and courageous to raise and escalate ideas or concerns in a professional and timely manner
- Proactive, self-directed and able to work with minimum supervision
- Exercise professional judgment, objectivity and discretion
- Ability to build relationships, working within a global team
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our . We welcome conversations on flexible working.