About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.The Role Responsibilities
Digitization is changing the paradigm of the Banking industry and so have clients expectations on the Banking experience they want. Clients today expect services to be available instantaneously, any time and with a single touch of a button. How we are envisaging this happening is via the new SRE model.
The SRE model will be transformational in all aspects: for the organisation, for the individuals in the support teams and for our clients. The SRE mindset and holistic understanding of the systems achieved through the collaborative efforts of working alongside the development teams, now means that the team are focused on finding solutions using innovative means of doing things which is completely different from the traditional support model, and thus this bridge that is created between development and operations/support will ensure that system reliability is achieved to meet the needs of our clients.
This role is therefore integral to STS achieving its SRE transformational goals, aimed at our production teams becoming fully aligned to the engineering-career pathways where we have teams full of engineers rather than technicians, and as such, it requires someone with strong leadership, passion, drive and belief in this SRE model for this change to be successful.
The Global Head of STS SRE will lead the Global Production Engineering team for Security Technology Services to ensure SRE practices are embedded into the culture and mindset of the organisation. This strategic position will play a pivotal role in ensuring our services are built on the SRE tenets of Reliability, Scalability, Operability and Observability and will become our key differentiator in this digital age.Strategy
- Develop strategic direction and roadmap for Production Engineering and SRE that will efficiently drive higher productivity, maximize efficiency and reduce costs by adopting agile practices aligning with Business & IT Strategy, Bank's Digital Agenda and Portfolio Investment priorities
- Future proofing the organization - Drive the transformation agenda by elevating the organisation to an engineering function that constitutes a focussed group of specialists managing the production floor as the first line of defence, digitizing inward through 'Chatbot' & highly skilled SREs (our full tech-stack engineers) as the key essential components for success
- Build and foster an engineering excellence culture through leadership and direction, aligning the organisation to build upon the SRE tenets and ensure it is embedded within the DNA of our operations by adopting technology levers like Automated deployment, Blue Green deployment, Distributed transaction tracing etc. This will help to maintain a more reliable technology platforms and facilitate faster production releases supporting Speed to Market with minimal down time requirements.
- Evangelize reliability thinking and industrialize automation in everything we do
- Enable an environment for driving superior and consistent engineering experience with on demand standardised enterprise grade tools, software and frameworks
- Envisage and align the domains to the growing technology needs & capabilities. Support Business and domains by leveraging technology to streamline processes, enhance productivity, enable zero touch, reduce risk and improve controls as part of the SRE deliverables
- Remove roadblocks in the processes that abate faster delivery of code to production e.g. optimized Development Pipeline
- Deliver on a data first strategy for production ecosystem to enable machine learning and predictive analytics
- Drive automation across controls and milestones in the development cycle to continually evaluate opportunities e.g. Speed2Market, Assurance Automation etc
- Build an enhanced resiliency strategy that focuses on infrastructure resiliency of service through self-healing and automated failovers
- Accountable for ensuring the infrastructure builds cater for resilient, always-on systems, including resilient applications so underlying system failures are handled gracefully and don't appear to end user as an outage, instilling resiliency by design thinking in /development teams to cater for rainy-day scenarios.
- Implement resilient design patterns for next generation architecture
- Accountable for ensuring lean methodologies are adopted throughout the Production Engineering organisation to eliminate all manual and repeat operational activities
- Strategize the ‘right tools the functions should have in order to reduce toil and increase insight into trouble spots
- Drive the engineering community to build, share and re-use software frameworks to increase productivity and predictability of services
- Ensure that the organisation works in a proactive way to upgrade capacity well in advance and predict future capacity needs
- Optimise the delivery of robust capacity forecasting within SDI (Software Defined Infrastructure) auto-scaling
- Responsible for building an engineering culture where application and infrastructure scalability is paramount for on-going capacity management with an aim to reduce the need for capacity reviews using monitoring and auto-scale properties
Partnering and innovative culture
- Accountable for ensuring the core focus of this team is one that is ‘obsessed with ensuring all our systems within the Production Engineering are maintaining a high degree of availability and reliability as we build on the premises of ‘always-on systems to meet and exceed our client needs to cater for a 24x7 service.
- Drive engineers to apply reliability patterns consistently across next generation platforms for 'always on' services
- Implement service improvement programmes to reduce avoidable incidents, drive down service recovery times, automate manual processes, and improve the stability of applications.
- Govern, own, manage, monitor and optimize the reliability and overall health of all environments. including staging/pre-production environments.
- Persistently uplift availability and reliability of platforms for our clients by influencing design thinking both in existing and new platforms.
- Capitalize knowledge with First Responders to drive product and SRE backlog priorities
- Drive an ecosystem of innovation and enabling business through technology to improve the client experience and create an environment that strives for continuous improvements of the current functionality of the systems/platforms.
- Enable consistent quicker availability of sandbox environments to encourage innovation and experiments to help breakthrough business problems with future ready solutions
- Become a trusted advisor to the business. Work hand in hand with STS & CSS Partners and manage business partner expectations from timelines and quality perspectives
- The STS team protect the Bank from cyber security threats by delivering effective information security technology services, managing and responding to security incidents to ensure, and support the continuity and growth of Bank's business operations and meet the both internal and external stakeholders expectations across 70+ countries and territories, in which SCB operates.
- Aligned to our vision, mission and priorities, Tooling and automation project is aimed to identify, automate or simplify the current mode of operations with Security Technology Services functions, includes PIM and Authentication Services, Data Security, Perimeter Security and Technology Production Support. The strategy is to enable the same through enhance experience through self-service, self-healing of system generated events, change process and deployment, and more importantly process reengineering through LEAN process improvement.
People and Talent
- Define standards to ensure that applications are designed with scale, resilience and performance in mind
- Enforce and streamline sound development practices and establish and maintain effective governance processes including training, advice and support, to assure the platforms are developed, implemented and maintained aligning with the Group's standards
- Oversee & institutionalise the process of root cause analysis to ensure it is being followed adopting blameless RCA culture
- Support Business Operating Models, Standards, Finance, Risk Controls and compliance with regulations
- Inculcate the Group's values and code of conduct to ensure adherence to the highest standards of ethics and compliance to relevant policies and processes
- Ensure compliance to the highest standards of business conduct, regulatory requirements and practices defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with local banking laws and anti-money laundering stipulations
- Empower the engineers so that they can provide economy of scale focused on availability, monitoring & system management
- Attract, employ and retain high quality people such that SRE teams are skilled and experienced to build a fully Agile development organisation, and promote team diversity across technical capability, background, gender and race.
- Foster a culture of innovation, transparency and accountability in all the domains where SREs are embedded while promoting a 'business-first' mentality at all levels
- Lead through example and build appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations for the team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners
- Ensure role, job descriptions and expectations are clearly set, and periodic feedback provided to the entire team
- Develop and maintain a plan that provides for succession and continuity in the most critical IT management positions.
- Responsible for ensuring full view of key issues identified in the business areas are being supported, and based on this information, appropriate controls and measures to assess, monitor, control & mitigate risks are being put in place.
- Ensure a full understanding of the risk and control environment within STS SRE -supported by the Head, Governance Risk and Compliance.
- Be proactive in ensuring regular assurance that SREs are performing to acceptable risk levels and control standards
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness become apparent and ensure those are addressed within quick / prescribed timeframes and escalated through the relevant committees
- Act as the risk control owner under the Group's risk management framework at the appropriate level
- Balance productivity, quality and cost constraints with risks & controls to ensure that they do not materially threaten the Group's ability to remain within acceptable risk levels
- Ensure business continuity and disaster recovery planning for the entire technology portfolio
- Ensure the effective management of risk, issues and assurance reporting relating to strategy and transformation, engaging with and reporting back regularly to Production Engineering Management Team
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Responsible for ensuring risks, conduct and compliance matters are identified, escalated, mitigated and resolved in an effective manner, supported by the Head, Governance Risk and Compliance.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the [country / business unit / function/XXX [team] to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients Effective Financial Markets Financial Crime Compliance The Right Environment.] *
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- STS Tribe Leads
- CSS Tribe Leads
- T&I SRE CoE
- ET SRE Leads
- T&I Head of Resilience
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in T&I STS
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country or Functional policies and procedures.
- Ability to manage a diverse and challenging stakeholder community. This role would require 15+ years of relevant experience, covering the implementation of transformation strategy within technology organisations. International exposure, ability to handle cultural diversity and developing high performers are essential to this role.
- Relevant degree in the area of Computer Science and evidence of continuous professional development in an IT role. Proven experience in having driven stability across the technology platforms through Preventive, Proactive and Predictive monitoring capabilities.
- Excellent knowledge of various technology platforms (which includes databases, OS and application servers.
- Ideally have knowledge of Security and Cyber services and Cloud.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our . We welcome conversations on flexible working.