The BASF Shared Services Center Kuala Lumpur was established in 2005. Located in Kuala Lumpur, it has approximately 700 employees and provides functional services in the areas of Finance, Controlling, Information Services, Human Resources, Environment, Health & Safety, Procurement, and Import-Export Order Management to BASF companies and affiliates in 17 markets across Asia Pacific. BASF also has three other Shared Service Centers that cover Europe and the Americas, located in Berlin and Ludwigshafen, Germany, and Montevideo, Uruguay.
Objectives of the Position
- To deliver Business reporting services to BASF’s internal customers, in accordance with established Business reporting processes and work procedures and in compliance with BASF guidelines and policies, Financial Reporting Compliance requirements, Internal Control requirements and Local Company legal and statutory requirements.
- To ensure that timelines and quality meet the agreed service levels and targets for enabling country stakeholders drive business/operation with greater transparency and faster
- To support and back up other analyst in performing Business reporting tasks as required.
Functional Tasks (Inclusive but not limited):
To deliver Business reporting services, by ensuring delivery quality in terms of accuracy, completeness and timeliness:
- To maintain and ensure master data regarding material ledger, inventory valuation, production planning budget, intra-company transfer pricing, cost center accounting, fixed assets and project accounting are performed timely and accurately.
- To maintain and ensure monthly standard and actual price calculation for all material included in material ledger are performed timely and accurately with correct stock valuation.
- To maintain and ensure estimation and year-end inventory valuation are performed timely and accurately follow BASF group guideline.
- To maintain and ensure the revision and year-end production planning budget are performed timely and accurately follow BASF group guideline.
- To maintain, review and ensure monthly cost center, cycle allocation and FICO reconciliation analysis are performed timely and accurately.
- Review and analyze of fixed assets, project accounting transactions and Non-Trade Business transactions
- To perform Month end closing and Year End closing activities timely and accurately.
- To perform analysis with comment on cost variations, non-distributed price differences for all material included in material ledger timely and accurately.
- To perform analysis with comment for Plan & Actual comparison for Fixed and Variable manufacturing cost and capacity utilization.
- To perform business analysis and provide advice to customer and controlling units on all matters regarding material ledger, inventory valuation, production planning budget, intra-company transfer pricing, cost center accounting.
- To trouble shoot and resolve issues related to Business reporting process by working with relevant stakeholders on the queries and issues.
- To act as business partner for BASF's internal customer to suggest and discuss workable solution with customers.
- To act as backup for Manager on daily task as and when required, and to perform other duties as and when assigned.
- To participate in any compliance audits and respond to audit queries.
- To ensure all work documentation and process are updated to meet the Internal Control Framework on timely basis.
- To ensure compliance to BASF guidelines and policies, Financial Reporting Compliance requirements, local regulation and statutory requirements.
- To contribute and support Business reporting Senior Manager, Manager, Regional Process Expert and Subject Area Lead in the implementation of project initiatives.
- To support Global Subject Team (GST) initiatives in Business reporting team.
- To collaborate and support local counterpart team, service management team, regional and country controllers, plant personnel and other Finance service work streams.
- To drive and participate in transition and migration projects, and support team strategic plan.
- To act as mentor to Senior Analysts and Analysts to encourage good practice, team spirit and a quality-orientated approach.
- To perform tasks in accordance with the service management framework, by providing a timely and accurate service.
- To ensure customer queries are attended and resolved timely, responsible and proactive manner.
- To ensure all tasks are processed within agreed service timeline.
Quality and Continuous Improvement:
- To identify, recommend and implement solutions in consultation with Senior Manager, Manager, Regional Process Expert, Subject Area Lead for continuous improvement opportunities.
- To support standardization across regions and globally by focusing on alignment of end to end business process areas, system and tools.
- To conduct functional training and contribute in training materials preparation in accordance with the established training framework
- To support in establishing a knowledge database, also of work problems encountered and steps for resolution to facilitate continuous learning, development and cross sharing of knowledge throughout Business reporting team. This is including to document any exceptions to the country's end to end process, carry out post mortem for each month end in preparation of Team or Departmental meeting.
- To ensure update changes to process documentation as and when required.
- To support new and existing team members through proper knowledge transfer; and sharing of best practice thereby ensuring quality is maintained through if staff transition.
Professional guidance / multiple reporting lines:
- Assist to delegate work and assign tasks to others in team where requested
- Assist Manager in day to day supervisory tasks of team
- Provide guidance and support to the designated Business reporting team
- Assist managers in providing feedback and reinforcement to team members regarding development needs and
- opportunities, and secure resources to support development efforts
- Establishes good interpersonal relationships by helping team members feel valued, appreciated and aware of business performance issues.
- Assume Manager’s role in the absence of Manager
- Follow BASF Group guidelines; accounting and reporting guidelines
- Understand and follow local regulation and statutory requirements
Frequent cooperation within BASF Group
- Counterparts and/or relevant stakeholders in BASF companies, internal auditors and the other BSSCKL functional teams
- Senior Managers, Managers, Analysts and peer team members
- Service Centre management team
- Global/Regional Finance Reporting functional units
Frequent cooperation outside BASF Group
- Work closely with external consultants, auditors etc.
Degree of Supervision Required in the job
- Work with minimal supervision
- University degree in finance and accounting or business studies; and/or
- Chartered or Certified Professional Accountant or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in finance and accounting functions preferably in Business reporting. Competent candidates with lesser years of experiences are considerable.
- Experience working in an MNC, shared service center or Malaysian Public listed company is preferable.
Technical & Professional Knowledge:
- Knowledge and understanding of Business reporting and other accounting functions.
- Knowledge and understanding of SAP system or other ERP system will be an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience of MS office tools.
- Proficiency in English and other languages as required with good communication skills.