Why work at Standard Chartered
Standard Chartered believe that every one of their colleagues plays a tangible role in delivering their purpose – Driving commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity. They all feel strongly about living their valued behaviours – Never settle, Doing the right thing, and Better together and their culture makes this organisation special. Standard Chartered Bank have always sought continuously to improve, to challenge themselves and to drive change within the industry, the world we live in, and with themselves to live up to their brand promise - to be Here for good.
The success of the Bank and the achievement of their business strategy hinges on the way they invest in, manage and organise their people, the employee experience they create and the culture they build. Standard Chartered are building a future ready workforce enabled by digital skills, organisational adaptability and leadership at every level. They are committed to creating an inclusive and flexible environment where their diverse talent feels able and inspired to make a meaningful contribution to the prosperity of our clients.
The Role Responsibilities
- The Technology Support Database team is organized across technologies and is tiered to provide the full range of support and project services for our Oracle, Sybase, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, DB2 and MS SQL Server estate.
- The Senior Database Administrator is responsible for providing advanced technical support, problem diagnosis/resolution and proactive database services. Work closely with Support and Engineering teams to mature the product and service offering. This role will be part of our global database support team.
- As a Senior Database Administrator, you should be able to resolve the most complex technical issues professionally, rapidly and consistently and work alongside team mates and other teams to identify the root causes.
- You must also be able to work with our Engineering and Build colleagues to design and implement practical solutions to the various challenges in the database estate and work towards increasingly automated monitoring and support solutions.
- You are required to provide database support of deep technical expertise to all the stakeholders in a stable, productive and cost-effective manner. You should be highly self-motivated, task oriented and capable of working independently in carrying out tasks and trouble shooting.
- Responsible for ensuring the reliability, availability and performance of the databases that support the system.
- Proactively monitor and make strategic plans to address issues to improve service stability.
- Responsible for improvement and maintenance of the databases to include rollout and upgrades.
- Provide technical support and resolve outage in a short turnaround time.
- Actively engage with key stakeholders to ensure different objectives are aligned and assist stakeholders by providing specialist skills and knowledge as required.
- Participate in out-of-hours support and delivery as required.
- Automate standard processes.
Qualifications and skills
- Minimum of 5 years PostgreSQL database experience.
- Minimum of 3 years MongoDB database experience.
- Excellent proficiency on PostgreSQL, HA/DR replication techniques.
- Expert in Backup / Restore / Load data/unload the data, Application Query and RDBMS Performance Tuning.
- Good understanding of Linux, the stack, dependant services, open source utilities, tools, automation and orchestration.
- Experience on other open source databases, and SRE.
- Proactive mindset, you should be able to demonstrate this by showing initiatives you have kicked off on your own to improve services.
- Good understanding of scripting and programming languages e.g. python, C, go.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and collaborative skills. Good project management skills. Work well within a team but also able to work individually in stressful incident situations.
- Banking industry or other financial institution experience (preferred)