BASF has been present in Malaysia since 1989, and today operates manufacturing plants in Bukit Raja, Selangor and Pasir Gudang, Johor. BASF's Shared Services Center in Kuala Lumpur provides functional support services to BASF companies in 17 markets across Asia Pacific. BASF also provides infrastructure and utilities support services to its joint ventures BASF PETRONAS Chemicals and Toray BASF Resins at an integrated Verbund site situated in the Gebeng Industrial Zone, Pahang. BASF posted sales to customers in Malaysia of approximately €309 million in 2019 and had 2,090 employees as of the end of the year. Further information is available on the internet at www.basf.com/my.
- Manage daily tax compliance tasks for responsible legal entities according to the tax regulation and company policy with professional technical competency
- Support and coordinate in developing specific sustainable, simplified and efficient tax operational processes in a timely manner
- Deliver value-adding tax advice to specific business operation independently
- Participate and provide high-quality and timely support to ad-hoc projects
- Build and maintain transparent and trusting relationship with tax authorities and related government authorities
- Perform professional and effective tax governance function on specific BASF legal entities
- Ensure that timelines and quality meet the agreed service levels and targets.
Functional Tasks (including but not limited to):
- Aware of tax incentives, business developments, and well-versed with local tax regulations and practices.
- Prepare and accomplish tax filings and applications (including export VAT refund) of responsible entities (e.g. high business complexity and multi-BU entities) to ensure accurate and timely submission as required by tax regulation and tax authority
- Coordinate with Treasury to ensure tax payment and tax refund to be processed and settled within required timeline of responsible entities
- Provide tax data input to tax accounting posting and reporting (including VAT account reconciliation) of responsible entities and subsequent monitoring
- Prepare and accomplish tax registration, filing and application for non-trade FX payment of responsible entities
- Review and monitor relevant tax filings and tax applications prepared by Local Finance of responsible sites (e.g. high business complexity and multi-BU entities) to ensure accurate and timely submission as required by tax regulation and tax authority
- Provide tailor made tax advice and value-adding guidance to specific Business/Functional units operations within specific timeline independently with close and good collaboration with other stakeholders
- Contribute and provide high-quality and timely support to various ad-hoc projects (e.g. digitalization transformation)
- Coordinate and support in establishing, optimizing and developing operational processes to drive efficiency and excellence on timely basis in line with business needs or exploring and analyzing specific new tax regulation reform
- Support in providing professional and effective tax governance function on specific BASF legal entities not covered by BASF Finance platform
- Perform efficient and effective communication with tax authorities and maintain transparent and trusting relationship with tax authorities and related government authorities
- Familiar with defense tactics and well-versed with local tax regulations/practices to support specific tax matters (e.g. tax audit or inquiry) and implementation of tax planning initiatives in cooperation with Tax Department
- Accomplish other tasks/projects as assigned by the supervisor within agreed timeline and provide timely report to the supervisor or other related stakeholders
- Prepare all tax filing documents and reconcile the tax filing data vs. accounting records; prepare required documents for addressing local tax authority queries, inspection and audit, M&A project, implementation of global and regional projects
- Participate in any compliance audits and respond to audit queries.
- Responsible in all work documentation and work processes update/development and meet with Internal Control Framework on timely basis
- Ensure compliance to BASF policies & guidelines, Financial Reporting Compliance requirements, local company legal and statutory requirements.
- Contribute and support the Senior Manager and Managers/Experts/Team Specialists in the implementation of project initiatives e.g. Continuous Improvements, Technology Enhancement, Internal Control, Six Sigma, Scorecard etc.
- Coordination, monitoring and compilation of Key Performance Indexes (KPI)
- Such other tasks as BSSCKL management and changing business environment may require to be performed
- Support team strategic plan and objectives
- Participating in working groups (i.e. Smart Close, Final Sprints, RRM, CbCR & etc.)
- Involve in local project implementation, when necessary
- Supervise the operations in accordance with the service management framework by providing timely and accurate customer service
- Ensure customer queries are attended to and resolved in a timely, responsible and proactive manner
- Review backlog and cycle time reports to improve process flow times
- Ensure all workflows are processed within agreed service timelines
- Monitor SLAs, Balance Scorecard and KPIs, to ensure continuous improvement in operations and service to customers
Quality and Continuous Improvement:
- Identify, recommend and implement solutions in consultation with Senior Manager and Managers for continuous improvement opportunities
- Ensure update changes to process documentation when required
- Support standardization across regions and globally by focusing on alignment of end to end business process areas, system and tools.
- Support in improving productivity of Financial Reporting by conducting relevant benchmarking exercise and monitoring through Key Performance Indexes
- Assist to ensure effective knowledge transfer as for sustainable development of knowledge within the team
- Assist to provide operational and strategic support in designing, implementation and continuous improvement of Financial Reporting internal functional training to maximise learning process based on current and future business needs.
- Assist to develop, maintain and update a set of comprehensive and complete training materials of Financial Reporting internal functional training.
- Work with the relevant stakeholders to understand service delivery information and technical knowledge and keep up to date on changes that may impact the training content and training delivery.
- Assist in conducting functional training in accordance with established training structure, when needed
- Establish a knowledge database of work problems encountered and steps for resolution to facilitate continuous learning, development and cross sharing of knowledge throughout Financial Reporting team.
- Support new and existing team members through proper knowledge transfer; and sharing of best practice thereby ensuring quality is maintained through any staff transition
Professional guidance / multiple reporting lines:
- Assist to delegate work and assign tasks to others in team where requested
- Provide guidance and support to the designated Financial Reporting team
- Establishes good interpersonal relationships by helping team members feel valued, appreciated and aware of business performance issues.
- Follow BASF Group guidelines, accounting and reporting guidelines
- Understand and follow local regulation and statutory requirements
Frequent cooperation within BASF Group
- Counterparts and/or relevant stakeholders in BASF companies, internal auditors and the other BSSCKL functional teams
- Specialist, Experts, Team Specialist, Managers, Senior Managers, Accountants and peer team members
- Service Centre management team
- Global/Regional Finance Reporting functional units
Frequent cooperation outside BASF Group
- Work closely with external consultants, auditors etc.
Degree of Supervision Required in the job
- Work with minimal supervision
- University degree in finance, tax or accounting studies; and/or
- Chartered or Certified Professional Accountant or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years experiences in Taxation and other accounting function. Competent candidates with lesser years of experience are considerable.
- Preferably experience working in SAP system or other major ERP system's work environment
- Experience in a shared service or business process outsourcing engagement will be an added advantage.
- Experience working in a MNC or Chartered Accounting firms preferred.
Technical & Professional Knowledge:
- Knowledge and understanding of Tax Reporting and other accounting functions
- Knowledge and experience of MS office tools
- Proficiency in English, Mandarin and other language required with good communication skill